Welcome, Guest. April 16, 2014, 10:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
+  Homesteading Northwest
|-+  Around the Homestead
| |-+  In the Kitchen
| | |-+  Making Hooch (or Prison Wine)
« previous next »

Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Making Hooch (or Prison Wine)  (Read 4026 times)
Wanna B Homesteader

« on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »

So I have begun my first foray into the world of alcohol, as a fun experiment and a middle finger to the tax-man. Lets call it "Counter-top Wine", since it sounds better than "Toilet Brew", "Hooch", "Prison Wine" or any of the other millions of names I have discovered.

Ingrediants:
Sweet fruit
Water
Bread yeast
(possibly an added sugar of some sort)

Takes about a quart of fruit (recomemded to not use citrus fruit) to make a gallon of this beverage, and a teaspoon of yeast.

Basically, you set it up, in a gallon jug, a milk jug works, and you let it ferment for a week. Tasting it everyday, you need to filter and put it in the fridge as soon as it begins tasting worse...or you will, aparently, get vinegar. Don't put a lid on it tightly...it could explode.

I am on day one, so couldn't tell you the outcome, but I am using Applesauce, sugar, and yeast in this batch. I can already taste a touch of fermentation, and It doesn't taste bad. I wish I lived in the rainforest people call the west coast, though, as I would LOVE to use blackberries in a batch of it. Next year I hope to make a batch of dandelion hooch.

I think it is a good skill to learn, alcohol is something that will always be in demand, more so in crisis, and could be a good barter tool. I also hate buying it and paying such exorbant prices. And I am a wack job and love to do pointless experiments anyways...this is just another one. :D

As a kid I tried to make alcohol out of pineapple juice...it worked, but I didnt know to filter it, so it was undrinkable. It is good, though, as I had no business getting drunk at 15, lol.

"I am NOT right because of me, it's because of Him." Paul Washer
eco2pia

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »

You can make wine out of a million crazy things, but I have found that sweeter is better for country wines--if you try for "dry" wine you really have to know what you are doing or you end up with turpentine--blech. Believe it or not 2 lbs of sugar to a gallon of water if you are using dandelions or something w/o a lot of it's own sugar, not much less than that for fruit.

Also you should bleach the intended jug first to be sure you aren't introducing any funky-ness. If using fresh fruit, or dandelions, you can sterilize it from any wild yeasts and funkyness with either a few campden tablets or by pouring boiling water over it. I tried once to make a wine out of wild grapes and ignored that step, and the wild yeast kept forming a gray scum on top--once it got started nothing would stop it. I had to throw it out. I like the boiling water better than the campden tablets.

You can put a balloon secured with a rubberband over the top of the jug to allow for expansion and keep out insects. When the balloon deflates it is done. It can be shelf stable if you seal it in a sterile bottle and if it has enough sugar to begin with. There is a tool to either cap beer bottles or cork wine bottles that is about $15. But I think storing it in the fridge works fine, and keeps you from making a giant amount at a time. icon_biggrin
admin
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »

I, for one, have always liked the term hootch. I'm a whack job too though.

This is something I've thought of doing. My mom used to use frozen grape juice concentrate, somehow. And the balloon. I always thought that was cool when I was little. lol. I should hunt down the recipe. My dad said it was really good, but very dangerous. lol
Wanna B Homesteader

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »

Lol,everything I see says its very safe. With the grape juice concentrate, I see that folks like to use three cans, with two cans of water per. And a half cup of sugar...and the ballon looks to be a mixture of a way to keep stuff out and allow for pressure, and to make sure its fermenting, but I promise, its easy to see when it is. Mybe next time I will make a video showing how I am doing it.

Some people don't use yeast at all, and only cover with a cloth, like if you were making sourdough. The yeast comes from the air.

I kinda like Hooch...but people look at me weird. But then, they do that normally, so it could just be a normal response to aything that comes out of my mouth, lol. n

eco2pia

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:18:36 PM »

So, there are no pathogens that will make you sick that can live in beer or wine--but there is stuff that will make the wine/beer taste awful. Glass bottles can explode if you seal them before they are done fermenting. But I think Paula's dad meant dangerous as in highly intoxicating! glasses1

And technically "hooch" is distilled, therefore illegal. And real hooch IS dangerous, because if you don't know what you are doing you can poison yourself with methanol, which is supposed to be boiled off, but in a home still can be left behind--one case where the goobermint is right to regulate.
admin
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 05:47:52 AM »

Yes, dangerous as in knock you on your little donkey. I may just have to try it. I really don't drink too much. I do drink red wine every now and then. Supposed to be good for the heart. I know it's good for the nerves!
Wanna B Homesteader

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 02:50:26 PM »

Illegal, eh? I thought it was ok.... happy3 I can't stay on the right of the law if I TRY, aparently...oh well....

At any rate. I am half tempted to strain it and try it now, lol. I make put some more sugar in it though, next time. :) I am sure it will be yummy...it just sits on the counter, does that qualify as distilled? And good to know no pathogens...I love you Brandy!

Wanna B Homesteader

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »

Oh, and I wish everyone would stop telling me my hobbies could get me put away, lol. Did you know mailing Dandelion seeds to someone is illegal? Who knew?! help

eco2pia

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »

Hey, what you are doing is NOT illegal!!

If you run it through a distiller and make it into hard liquor then it is illegal. But what you are making is not called "hooch"--you can call it that anyway, for fun. But you should know REAL hooch IS illegal--so you don't tell some cop that you are making hooch...Wine and beer is legal to make and share but not to SELL. Home distilled liquor is illegal to MAKE, own, share, anything.
Wanna B Homesteader

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »

Gotcha. :) Woo...that is a relief. I posted it on Face book, lol.  BangHead

Anyways, that is what it was introduced to me as...

Anyways...I am making mead now, fermented, same way. :) Anyone wanna party? LOL

Wanna B Homesteader

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 07:57:04 PM »

Anyways, I pulled the process early, cause it started tasting pretty....good. Yup. We'll call it that. It is so sweet, and thick and delicious. MMMMM.....I chilled it, most is still in the fridge, but I HAD to try it.

Did I say I am making Mead next? lol

mountainrabbits
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 03:19:26 PM »

Mead? Isn't that made of honey?  icon_scratch

Hi, my name is Marah :) I am addicted to rabbits.
I aspire to Be the kind of woman that, when your feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Wanna B Homesteader

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »

Yup, sure is! The recipe I am using calls for a quart of honey, half a spoon of yeast, and enough water to fill a gallon jug. I guess it is nasty at first, it needs aged at least a few months, but what I hear is between 1 and 3 years is best.

Wanna B Homesteader

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »

Oh, and my neighbors and I drank the whole gallon yesterday. They said it was the best "wine" they've ever tasted, and asked me to write down the recipe.  glasses1

mountainrabbits
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 08:15:33 PM »

You should definitely make a video next time you start some Shara! Lol and start some soon?  icon_tongue

Hi, my name is Marah :) I am addicted to rabbits.
I aspire to Be the kind of woman that, when your feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pages: [1] 2 Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

BlueLine by:TreetopClimber © 2006 MySQL | PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2006, Simple Machines XHTML | CSS